Family Update

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Afternoon, y'all!  I just wanted to stop in and share a little of what's been keeping us busy lately, beginning with Thanksgiving.  We had plans to go to my parents' house to celebrate with them, as well as my siblings and their families; however, Kaden began running a 103 degree temperature late Wednesday afternoon.  It stuck around until the wee hours of the morning the Friday after Thanksgiving.  So, we stayed home; and although it was a last minute change of plans, we truly had a wonderful day.
We started the day with scrambled eggs, bacon, and homemade cinnamon rolls.  This pan was actually to take to my dad.  He requested them, but he'll have to wait for a fresh batch at Christmas.
My kiddos got to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on television, which we, literally, never get to do.  We're nearly always on the road traveling during it.  We also got to watch the lighting of The Plaza in the evening.  Some day, we'll brave the crowds and hop over to see it in person.
The rest of the day we spent relaxing... REALLY relaxing, which I cannot remember the last time we've done.  We've got to try it more often!  I even got to play in my studio for a bit, while Kaden napped and my big kiddos went, with my hubby, to see Moana.
Then, because we couldn't find any fresh turkeys, and there wasn't enough time to defrost a frozen turkey, I fixed Sour Cream Chicken; corn; mashed potatoes; traditional, green bean casserole; homemade rolls, which were heading to my parents' house with us; and a fresh salad for dinner.  It was pretty tasty for a last-minute, trying-to-make-use-of-what-we-had-on-hand kind of dinner.

We even rounded things off with a Carmel Pecan Pumpkin Cheesecake, which I had made, in advance, for Friday company.  Those plans, too, were thwarted due to the ickies; but we definitely weren't going to let dessert be wasted.
And before the day was through, my beautiful girl lost another tooth!
By the Saturday evening after, Kaden was feeling up for decorating the Christmas tree.  My big kiddos and hubby picked it out.  Then, while he napped, we strung the lights; and once he awoke, everyone helped trim the tree, beginning with new ornaments for my kiddos.
We don't have a lot of holiday decor.  Matter of fact, the bulk of it is our tree, as well as little, artificial trees for each of my kiddos to set up in their rooms; and the rest is a mixture of fresh and artificial greens strung throughout the house.  Thomas the Tank Engine joined the festivities again this year as well.  It just wouldn't be the same without his "Jingle Bells".
Ezekiel celebrated the end of another semester of homeschool band with his Christmas concert last weekend.  It was his first semester of Wind Ensemble and has been such a great and challenging start for him!  He got invited to join Jazz Band next semester; but with basketball, too, on top of Adina's activities and an outstanding hospital bill, our budget is a bit overstretched.  He's going to keep on playing in Wind Ensemble, though, and he's okay with that.
That covers things, for today, other than basketball practices; our studies; and all the other events, from Christmas programs and dinners to art projects and activities, all over the city.  It's a busy time of year, and I'm doing my best to keep my head above water.  I know that I'm not alone.  Thanks so much for checking in on us, and may your Christmas season be blessed!


Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loving all the photos, especially that last one of the kids all dressed up!!! They all look WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa Elton said...

So sorry your little bear was sick over Thanksgiving. It seems as though things worked out well though. Sometimes the stay at home family holidays turn out to be the best kind!!

Miriam Prantner said...

Great update! Sorry your Thanksgiving plans got shuffled, but it looks like you made the best of it and had a great time regardless!