The Studio Review of the Year Challenge

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Welcome to 2017, friends!  And what better way to start it off than with a thoughtful, new challenge from The Studio?!  Instead of looking forward to the new year ahead, we want you to look back and reflect on the year you just had.  It could be a review of the whole year, something special or a favorite thing that happened, or maybe, myself included, it's one you would rather forget.  Well, maybe I don't want to forget everything about 2016, but it truly was a difficult year for my family and I.  The downs far outweighed the ups; and at times, I found it nearly impossible to keep my head above water.  No one ever said life was easy; but I truly am reaching for that life preserver as we move into 2017, and that's what I've chosen to document for today's challenge.
I started this page by adhering a large, Cameo-cut heart at an angle and overlapping the bottom and left edges of the gradient, scallop, patterned, paper, base page.  I then used an old gift card to apply a little white gesso to the background before watercoloring it in shades of mint, teal, and yellow.  Those same colors came back to splatter the page, once my stack of prints were secured with gold-threaded, straight, machine stitching.  I then punched the open edge of a kraft envelope, from my stash, with an irregular scallop and created the closure from white, cardstock, 1", punched circles; gold eyelets; and white string, before adhering it over my print stack.
The bottom of the envelop was backed with a wax envelope and topped with my family's 2016 photo, which was matted with white cardstock and had an aqua, "together", cut-apart tab tucked under its bottom left edge.
The top was embellished with the "2016" year, created with Dear, chipboard, letter Thickers...
as well as a leaf die cut, topped with a wood veneer, "together" banner, laced with yellow twine, tied in a bow.
It was crowned with a couple of cut-apart and stamped, in Jet Black ink, phrases.
We'll come back to that envelope at the end of this post; but for now, let's move onto the "The struggle IS REAL" title.  It was partially Cameo-cut from a black, text, patterned print and completed with foiled, chipboard, alpha stickers.  A couple of stamped, in Jet Black ink, phrases anchor it.
A bird flashcard was tucked under everything, before the actual paint splattering took place.  It was then topped with two cut-apart words, as well as a "NEW BEGINNING", chipboard, phrase sticker...
and sandwiched between a coral tag, laced with teal twine, tied in a bow, and my journaling, which reads, It's been a tough year for our family, as proven by the plethora of bills found in the envelope here.  But at the end of the day, we always have one another; and there is truly no better place to be.  I {heart} these people!
A couple of additional, stamped, in Jet Black ink, phrases ground that journaling.
Another leaf die cut, as well as a pink, ticket strip, was tucked under the left side of everything; and the latter was held in place with a torn length of mint Washi.  A happy mix of stamped, chipboard, and puffy stars were scattered throughout the design to complete the look.
Okay, now for the envelope again.  It houses printouts of the bills alluded to in my journaling above.
Further inspiration for this page came from Citrus Twist's December 25th Sketch, which I rotated 90 degrees to the left.
You have until Sunday, February 12, 2017, to link up your takes in the right-hand column of The Studio blog.  I'm so looking forward to seeing what you all cook up!  Be sure to stop by the challenge link above to see how the rest of my talented team was inspired.  Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a fantastic 2017, friends!  Hugs!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: all phrases & stars (Citrus Twist) Paper: white (Recollections); gradient pink scallops (Paige Evans); multicolored marble & teal polka dot (Maggie Holmes); aqua hexagon, multicolored houses, & black text (Crate Paper); yellow arrows (Citrus Twist); black plus signs (Simple Stories) Ink: Jet Black (Ranger); Black PITT artist pen (Faber Castell) Other: gold thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); The Struggle Is Real cut file (lovesvg.com); Basic Hearts cut file (Creative Scrappers); Cameo (Silhouette); watercolors (Kuretake); gesso (O'Leary Paint); Pure Black & Titanium White acrylic paints (FolkArt); wood veneer "together" banner (Cocoa Vanilla); pink tickets & tag (Dear Lizzy); bird flashcard & leaf die cuts (Maggie Holmes); foiled chipboard alpha & star stickers (Pinkfresh); "NEW BEGINNING" chipboard phrase sticker (Pinkfresh for Citrus Twist); wax envelope, all cut-apart phrases, "together" tab, & yellow twine (Citrus Twist); teal twine (Paper Sweeties); gold puffy star stickers (Freckled Fawn); kraft envelope (unknown); 1" Circle punch & gold eyelets (SU!); white string (Hobby Lobby); scallop punch (EK Success); Dear chipboard letter Thickers (American Crafts); mint Washi Tape (Simple Stories)

7 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ugh! I hate tough years!!! But I am happy that you were able to see the good too and make this beautiful page from it!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry you had a difficult year Jinny. I hope that 2017 is filled with promise and blessings. Your page is beautiful. As always I enjoy drinking in each and every perfectly placed detail!

Sandy Ross said...

I am glad to be starting a new year as well. Fabulous layout Jinny...you are always an inspiration!

Ros Crawford said...

Happy New Year! What a wonderful page ... As always beautiful executed and full of interest!

Leslie said...

Sorry to hear 2016 was difficult!! This page is amazing!! And you have a beautiful family!!! Love that picture!!!! Wishing you a better 2017!!

Maria said...

Wonderful layout with awesome family photo! Some years can be tough and I so hope that the new year brings easier times for you and family, hugs!!

Miriam Prantner said...

Your layouts just always have so many wonderful details. I love this photo of you guys and I think my favorite element is those leaves.