PLS Feature Friday: Tips for Mixing Patterned Papers

Friday, February 24, 2017

Happy Friday, y'all!  I trust you've all had a wonderful work week!  Ours has been super busy with a lot of appointments to keep and, of course, our studies; but I'm looking forward to dinner out with a girlfriend this evening to relax and unwind.  Before all the unwinding can begin, though, I'm up on the Pretty Little Studio blog, sharing a happy, winter-themed page of my big kiddos, before there ever was a little kiddo.  And if you'll hang in there with me until the end, I've got my top ten tips for mixing patterned prints to follow.  So, let's just get started.  Shall we?
I started this page by adding blue watercolor to the 12" x 12", watercolor, base page; stamping a few random snowflakes in Jet Black ink; and splattering everything with the same shades of watercolor used previously, as well as Pure Black and Titanium White acrylic paints.  I then anchored a happy mix of print strips, from numerous, different collections, horizontally, just left of vertical center, with gold-threaded, straight, machine stitching, before topping them with my tower of photos, which were matted with white cardstock.  The "SNOW Adorable" title was created, along the vertical left edge of my photos and over a vellum, snowflake die cut, with Gold Metallic A to Z Die Cuts and an "Adorable" Word Art die cut, popped up with foam tape.
My topmost photograph was wrapped with a length of Baker's Twine, tied in a bow and embellished with a couple of Magical Words Stickers, as well as a Rose Bush Tab, housing my Feb. 21, 2013, date.  You'll also find another vellum snowflake peeking out from behind its top right corner.
The ends of a couple of Salt Lake Clear Shipping Tags creep out from under my center photograph and add a scrumptious pop of blue right in the center of the design.  A "joy" Jingle Bell Words Die Cut was popped up with foam tape...
just behind the top edge of our Belle Kids Vintage Die Cut, which I backed with a tangle of gold thread, yet another vellum snowflake, and a "let it snow" Remember Banner.  A number of smaller, vellum, snowflake die cuts were scattered throughout the design, along with our 4mm and 8mm Crystal Sequins, to complete the look.
Without further adieu, here are my top ten tips for mixing patterned papers.  For clarification purposes, I've pointed out how these tips were put into practice on this particular page.  However, these are my go-to methods for combining prints on any and all my papercraft projects.
  1. Repeat colors.  I've stuck with a mostly blue and red palette on my page.
  2. Mix types of the same pattern.  I've included two vellum, snowflake prints, as well as a blue, snowflake, patterned paper; and there's even snowflakes on the Trees & Flakes print.
  3. Match colors, not patterns.  This tip may seem to contradict the previous one; however, even my snowflake prints are all blue or considered a neutral.  I wouldn't want to throw pink or purple snowflakes into this particular design.
  4. Involve embellishments.  All of my embellishments include the colors red and/or blue or are, once again, considered a neutral.  They also keep the theme of my page in mind.
  5. Throw a neutral in with colorful patterns.  This is one of my favorite ways to get lots of different patterns/layers onto a page.  Neutrals tone everything down; and our metallic neutrals add lots of elegance to a project, too.
  6. Include a statement pattern.  At first glance, the Trees & Flakes print above may not seem to coordinate; however, it keeps the winter theme of my page in mind and coordinates with the snowflake prints already included in the design.  Therefore, its wow factor works.  Plus, it draws the eye up and away from the embellishments/title work located near the base of the page.  It's all about balance, folks.
  7. Vary scales of your patterns.  For example, I've included bold, boxy gingham and large polka dots, not to mention wide stripes, alongside dainty snowflakes and tiny triangles on this particular page.
  8. Combine hard lines and soft edges.  Check out the combination of stripes and triangles next to snowflakes and polka dots above.
  9. When in doubt, polka dots, stripes, and I'm even going to go as far as to say gingham go with everything.  Consider them the neutrals of prints.
  10. Have fun!
I hope this collection of tips helps you find success in your future, creative endeavors.  Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a blessed weekend, friends!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: Rustic Greetings (The Craft's Meow) Paper: white (Recollections); vellum (Paper Studio); watercolor (Master's Touch); Wonderland: Gray Snow Vellum 8x8, Holly Jolly: Santa's Bag 8x8, Winter Joy: Trees & Flakes 8x8, Snowy Night 8x8, & Wishes Vellum 8x8, Woodland: Navy Caterpillar 8x8 & Gold Metallic Pebbles 8x8, Here Comes the Sun: Gold Metallic Stars 8x8, & Treasure Island: Jewel Archipelago 8x8 (PLS) Ink: Jet Black (Ranger); Black PITT artist pen (Faber Castell) Other: gold thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); watercolors (Kuretake); Pure Black & Titanium White acrylic paints (FolkArt); Baker's Twine (Clean Country Paper Supplies); Marais Snowflake & Ava Snowflakes craft dies (Poppystamps); Big Shot (Sizzix); Holly Jolly: Magical Word Stickers & Remember Banners, Woodland: Rose Bush Tabs, Winter Joy: Jingle Bell Words Die Cuts, Summer Vibes: Crystal 4mm Sequins & Crystal 8mm Sequins, Let's Go: Salt Lake Clear Shipping Tags, Here Comes the Sun: Gold Metallic A to Z Die Cuts, Gold Metallic Adorable Word Art, & Belle Kids Vintage Die Cut (PLS)

9 comments:

Georgiana said...

What a fun layout! Although it looks like it is freezing...they sure are having a good time.

Ros Crawford said...

Fabulous page with wonderful photos! Love your attention to detail ... Have a fun evening!

Monica said...

This is a beautiful page and I love your tips for mixing patterned papers! I can't wait for dinner tonight!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is gorgeous! LOVING the photos, the colors and that little boy/girl tag!!!!!!!!!!!

Team Clark said...

Oh gosh what a fun and delightful spread this is Jinny! Just scrumptious! Thank you for these wonderful tips. Hugs, Autumn

Leslie said...

fabulous page!! Love the colors!!

Tracy said...

Great tips although there needed to be an eleventh one. #11 have Jinny's talent! LOL Amazing and the tips just show how much thought you put into your layouts. Hugs!

Lisa Elton said...

Such a cute page Jinny! This reminds me of a photo my mom has of my brother and I in the snow!

Miriam Prantner said...

Love this layout! Oh how I wish we would have had some snow this year! Thanks for the tips too, I am so not good at mixing patterns and you are so good at it!