Guest Designing with Scrap Our Stash

Monday, May 15, 2017

Morning, y'all!  I'm so excited to be back guest designing with the talented ladies over at Scrap Our Stash this month!  We started the month out right with a Stash Challenge; and if you can believe it, we're already bringing it to a close with a brand, spankin' new sketch.  I don’t know what it is about pictures of my kiddos reading, but they’ve been the inspiration for a number of my pages this month.  I love that I caught my littlest in his underpants and with his book upside down in the photo featured here.  It’s such an accurate depiction of everyday life in my household.  Enjoy!
I started this page by adhering a 4-1/2" x 12" strip of a gray, gingham, patterned paper down the left side of the 12" x 12" watercolor paper, base page and a 1" x 12" strip of the same print, over an angled, black, plus signs, patterned paper, down the right side of the base page.
I then applied a little gesso to the larger, patterned paper strip.  Once it was dry, I painted shades of teal and yellow watercolors behind where my photos would lie.  I also splattered everything with those same watercolors, as well as red watercolor and Pure Black and Titanium White acrylic paints.  The previously adhered prints were then anchored with white-threaded, straight, machine stitching.  Several of the patterned papers behind my photo, which was matted with white cardstock and wrapped with a length of white string, tied in a bow, were anchored with the same stitching.  I also threw a folded sheet of vellum behind my photo and adhered five triangle cut-aparts, from top to bottom, just left of its vertical center.
The "home" die cut was backed with a tangle of white thread and topped with a floral die cut, popped up with foam tape.
I then journaled in a semicircle around the right side of my photo.  It reads, I just "LOVE" these precious moments when all is far too quiet for life with an ornery two-year-old and I come to check on you and you're just being "you".  I love you!  {heart}, MomTip: Pencil in your semicircle, using the rim of a bowl or lid of a hat box as a pattern, in order to ensure your journaling maintains the desired shape.  Die cuts were used to spell one of the words "LOVE" in the journaling...
and puffy alphabet stickers for one of the words "you".  Their combination creates the "LOVE you" title.
A yellow, cut-apart label was then tucked under the right-side, patterned paper strips; used to record the 4.1.16 date; and embellished with a leafy, cut-apart bar; triangle cut-apart; and "story of my life" die cut, backed with a tangle of white thread and popped up with foam tape.  A sprinkling of teal sequins completes the look.
Here's Scrap Our Stash's May Sketch Challenge to get you off and creating in the right direction.
Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a fabulous work week, friends!

{Supplies & Tools}
Paper: white & vellum (Paper Studio); watercolor (Master's Touch); gray gingham & black plus signs (Maggie Holmes); aqua hexagon (Crate Paper); multicolored floral (Dear Lizzy); yellow striped triangles & red grid (Citrus Twist) Ink: Black PITT artist pen (Faber Castell) Other: white thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); gesso (O'Leary Paints); watercolors (Kuretake); "LOVE", "home" defined, floral, & "story of my LIFE" die cuts (Pinkfresh for Citrus Twist); sequins & triangle, leafy bar, & yellow label cut-aparts (Citrus Twist); white string (Hobby Lobby); Dream On puffy alphabet stickers (Pinkfresh)

4 comments:

Miriam Prantner said...

I love this so much! That checked paper in the background is perfect and I love all the painting!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Love love love love this! LOVING that precious photo, the colors and loveeeeeeeeeee how you did the journaling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa Elton said...

This is the sweetest photo of Kaden! I like the gray and soft color palette you used. The curved journaling is eye catching. Wonderful page Jinny!

Annette Allen said...

adorable layout..