The Studio No People Challenge

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Morning, y'all!  Just popping in with our second, July challenge in The Studio.  We'd like to see pages with photo(s) possessing no people.  As soon as I saw this challenge, I immediately knew just the photo that I wanted to scrap.  It's a photo of my workbook and Bible from a study I did at our last church.  It wasn't until I was putting together the final, finishing touches, however, that I realized there was a person on the cover of that workbook.  There wasn't time to start over, so I went with it.  All of the goodies you see here came from my July "#rightnow" Citrus Twist kit.  I absolutely adore all those scrumptious, Bella Blvd. Make Your Mark die cuts!
I started this page by adding a few pink, aqua, and green watercolor puddles and splatters to a 12" x 12" piece of watercolor paper.  I then used a honeycomb stencil to rub Squeezed Lemonade Distress Ink over the puddles and splattered everything once again, but this time with Pure Black and Titanium White acrylic paints.  Once it was dry, I secured a trio of prints, with gold-threaded, straight, machine stitches, over the bulk of the mixed media and topped them with my photo, which was matted with white cardstock.  The photo itself was also backed with a snippet of cheesecloth; wrapped with a length of Baker's Twine, tied in a bow; embellished with a single, striped, arrow die cut; and popped up with foam tape.
A number of floral die cuts, as well as a cut-apart, pink, polka dot ticket and "ESSENTIAL" tab, dress up the photo's bottom left corner...
and a couple of additional, floral die cuts, along with a wood veneer "true", the top left.
 
"Today I choose Joy" and "SHINE ON" die cuts, popped up with foam tape, crown the design...
and a "DO WHATEVER SCARES YOU" die cut, which was also popped up with foam tape, grounds it.
A couple of extra, phrase die cuts, in combination with a "SET YOUR SOUL ON FIRE" cut-apart, number of wood veneer stars, and lots of journaling, completes the look.  The journaling reads,
I’ve never enjoyed hanging out with groups of women.  Matter of fact, they terrify me.  Maybe it’s because I grew up in a house full of estrogen.  Maybe it’s because I feel that women have unapologetically hurt me, or maybe I just wasn’t wired quite like the rest.  Whatever it may be, aside from the fact that I’ve never enjoyed a number of the activities that the general population typically associates with women, it has always led me to avoid group activities of the female sort at all costs.  As one may imagine, this wiring makes people question me; and many of the women in my life have treated me as though I chose to be like this and could do something about it.  Believing that something was wrong with me, I stepped out on a limb and signed up for a women’s Bible study.  I was open and honest and truly felt as though I brought something to the table; but while my hesitation about women was further deepened by the happy facades and lack of sincerity I found, I took away something so much greater.  I deepened my walk with the Lord, fell in love with His Word, and learned that absolutely nothing is wrong with me.  I’m made by and for Him.  He doesn’t make mistakes and loves me exactly the way I am.  
Tip: Pencil in a vertical, left-hand, boundary line to ensure that your journaling lines up from the top all the way to the bottom of the page.  It erases easily once you're done etching out your thoughts.
Further inspiration for this page came from Citrus Twist's July Sunday Sketch, which I'll post here just as soon as it has been made available online.

You have until Sunday, August 13, 2017, to link up your takes, on this No People Challenge and/or our previous Scraplift Challenge, in the right-hand column of The Studio blog; and we'll be back with one final, July Challenge on the 30th.  Be sure to stop by the challenge link above to see how the rest of the team was inspired.  Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a blessed week, y'all! 

{Supplies & Tools}
Paper: white (Paper Studio); watercolor (Master's Touch); aqua map (Fancy Pants); multicolored triangle (Photo Play); orange medallion (KaiserCraft) Ink: Squeezed Lemonade Distress Ink (Ranger); Black PITT artist pen (Faber Castell) Other: gold thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); Baker's Twine (Clean Country Paper Supplies); honeycomb stencil (Jenni Bowlin); cheesecloth (Dritz); watercolors (Kuretake); Pure Black & Titanium White acrylic paints (FolkArt); floral, "Today I choose Joy", "SHINE ON", "DO WHATEVER SCARES YOU", "EXPLORE", "gratitude", & striped arrow die cuts (Bella Blvd.); wood veneer "true" & stars & "SET YOUR SOUL ON FIRE", pink polka dot ticket, & "ESSENTIAL" tab cut-aparts (Citrus Twist)

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Love love love love this! LOVING that journaling!!! And I am the same way about 'meeting' groups of women! For different reasons - but same anxiety! LOL! I get you my friend! :)

Annette Allen said...

wow this layout is STUNNING.